Snap Decisions
How quickly things change...
Well this past week and a half that I have been back to work has been AWFUL. I was hoping to get on here and tell you how well I handled it. Some days I felt like I was doing ok. However, all in all, it didn't end up ok. It ended up awful. I don't even know if awful is a shitty enough word for how it was. I can't go into much because of HIPPA and stuff. I can say: I've had patients that don't care weather or not their baby lives or dies. I've had people ask how my pregnancy is going. I've had people say that this happend to us to "teach us a lesson." I've found out things about Grace's delivery that I never ever ever wanted to know. I've heard a lot of crying babies. I've seen a few babies deliever far before they were ready. I've seen a fetal demise at a similar gestation. I've seen my doctors that I saw while I was pregnant, and through the loss of our sweet girl. And I've cried a lot. A LOT A LOT A LOT.
Well this past week and a half that I have been back to work has been AWFUL. I was hoping to get on here and tell you how well I handled it. Some days I felt like I was doing ok. However, all in all, it didn't end up ok. It ended up awful. I don't even know if awful is a shitty enough word for how it was. I can't go into much because of HIPPA and stuff. I can say: I've had patients that don't care weather or not their baby lives or dies. I've had people ask how my pregnancy is going. I've had people say that this happend to us to "teach us a lesson." I've found out things about Grace's delivery that I never ever ever wanted to know. I've heard a lot of crying babies. I've seen a few babies deliever far before they were ready. I've seen a fetal demise at a similar gestation. I've seen my doctors that I saw while I was pregnant, and through the loss of our sweet girl. And I've cried a lot. A LOT A LOT A LOT.
Today I quit my job as a L&D/High Risk OB nurse.
I left this morning and knew I couldn't go back. I just can't. I guess it's too fresh. I tried. I tried so hard, and I feel like I failed. I did fail. I couldn't keep my $h!t together enough for my patients. It was too much. I couldn't not relate their situation to mine. I couldn't go into the room that I used to sit with the doppler and listen to her beautiufl heartbeat. I couldn't even look at the room where I was when I first felt her flutters within me. I can't look at my doctors hands and not know that he held my baby. I can't. That's all I ever say and feel anymore is I CAN'T. I think I failed... but there is nothing I can do about it now.
I called my manager from my old floor. I left there because I so badly wanted to do OB. Or so I thought. However, I really LOVED my old floor. I LOVED the people I worked with, and I LOVED my manager there. Anyway I called her and told her I was having a hard time and she offered my job back. My L&D manager was cool with me going back to my old floor, and was not suprised because of what I'd been through. So, I quit. I'm a quitter. And I now work back at my old home and I feel so much relief with this decision. I am so lucky that my previous floor was able to take me back. I really do love it there. I have such wonderful supportive friends there and it will be great to be back with them. I'm SO lucky. It was quite the snap decision THIS AM, but I think it was the best one for me. You could have never told me yesterday that today would have brought such change, but such is life. My parents and Ryan, and many of you have told me that it might not be best for me to stay on OB right now. You said it might be too much. I didn't want to listen, I wanted to be strong and stick it out, but you were right. There, I said it: YOU WERE RIGHT.
Anyway.....
Thanks to Franchesca for Grace Willow's beautiful hope collage! How wonderful of her to make these for us! She has such a talent!!
Well... I think that's all I feel like saying for now. *hugs* to all of you. Thanks for your support as I went back to work. Sorry I didn't quite make it. I guess I'm no real example of strength for anyone after a loss. Maybe someday I will be, but that day isn't today.
























15 comments:
It's ok. That would be a tough job to go back to so soon after losing your Grace. I'm glad that you were able to go back to your old job. Maybe someday you'll want to go back to OB and maybe you won't. Either way it really is ok. Sending you hugs!!
I don't know anyone who has been through what you've been through that would be able to go back to a labor and delivery/High Risk Pregnancy nursing job espeically after only 4 weeks of grieving. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to. Give yourself a break. Is it really such a bad thing to actually deal with your feeling in a positive healthy way? Big Hugs
I can't imagine dealing with that all day. I have a hard time just going to target and seeing pregnant people and new babies..I have no doubt it was ridiculously hard every day.. You tried, which is more than i could have done for sure. I am glad things worked out and you got your old job back :)
((HUGS))
I wish I could give you a big hug, Megan. Kudos to you for even attempting to return to work. I'm so glad you were able to switch floors. You are not a quitter! Please protect your heart and be gentle on yourself. xxoo
Megan,
You do not need to apologize to anyone. No one is saying,"I told you so." And do not call yourself a quitter!! You did the best you could and are amazing for even trying to go back.
I am so happy your situation turned out for you with switching back to your old floor... that goes to show what a fantastic nurse you are... they took you back in a heartbeat! I hope you find comfort in knowing that. :)
Don't you worry about what anyone thinks. This is your time to be completely selfish and do what is right for you. And it sounds like you've got it all figured out!
Good for you for taking charge and helping yourself heal in the best way you know how.
Much love from across the miles,
Jaime
xo
*HUGS*
i am so glad that you had the COURAGE to quit and go back to a job you can handle! i think of you and pray for you and ryan often...i love you. you are a beautiful, STRONG, COURAGEOUS mother!
Oh, sweet Megan. I'm so glad you were able to switch floors. So, so glad. Just, please, don't beat yourself up for not being able to handle it. You don't owe anybody anything-you don't have to prove how strong you are to anyone-you need to do right now whatever you can do to take care of you and your family and that's it. That's that.
We are proud of you. So proud of you for trying, for knowing when enough is enough, and for making a good, strong decision. Nothing else matters.
like Bree said, you are not a quitter. Not at all.
Sending you a GIANT hug,
Christy
Going back to your job must have been incredibly hard! I am so happy you were able to go back to your previous floor and that everything worked out. It sounds like a great move for you and that you have supportive co-workers.
Grace's hope collage is beautiful!
I thought it was amazing that you could even consider going back to your old job. I give you a lot of credit for even being able to walk in the door. I'm glad that you were able to go back to your old floor, and that the transition should be fairly easy since you've already been there.
(hugs)
Good for you Megan for even trying to go back in the first place! I'm very glad you were able to go back to your old floor. You are not a quitter! Be gentle with yourself now and do what's best for you. It sounds like you already are. (sorry, I'm a bit late in commenting!) XO
There is no way I could have done it. There is no way..... I'm glad you can find employment elsewhere.
Megan, the day will come when you will have the strength to do all the things you want to, but give yourself the permission to take a break. You have been through so much, and I think you were really brave and strong to even want to try going back to work on that ward. I couldn't have. I couldn't even handle hearing the dopplar from another room when I went in for my 6 week post partem. I'm really really happy that you were able to return to your previous ward and that you have a great support network there.
I've been thinking about you and wondering how you had been doing. I had not received an update on my dashboard that you posted and stopped by to see how things were. Since changing the settings of your blog, do you know how I can get those updates again?
Many hugs, and sending warm thoughts your way. XOXO
Megan,
Is everything "okay"?...
Thinking of you,
Jaime
xo
You might feel like a quitter, but you're not to me. You're surviving and I honestly can't imagine going back to that work environment after losing a baby. At least you tried to make it work, I don't think I would have ever even tried! I am glad you have a good manager who understands. Thinking of you, and I am glad I could make the collage for you :) XO
I don't think you're a quitter Megan, I think you've done what's right for you at this point in your life and I think it was a GOOD decision. You've been through too much to take on all the emotional trauma of the other mothers you had to work with. Kudos to you for knowing when to get out. I'm so glad you got your old job back too, I think everything went as it should for you and that your timing was bang on. Wishing you the best....and Grace's collage is gorgeous. Hugs
Post a Comment